It works!  Hooray!

But not all is so good...  I forgot in my excitement that MacIP over
LocalTalk is not supported in Mac OS 9.x :-(

So I got the LocalTalk/PhoneNet/AppleTalk network working over my
phone lines, and I can trade files and all that.  But go figure,
IPNetRouter can't serve up MacIP traffic to my Duo over PhoneNet
because Apple disabled MacIP over LocalTalk in OS 9!  Bah humbug.

And I'm not going to back my Wallstreet down from 9.2 just to run
MacIP...

What a shame.  I've got a handful of desktop Macs running 8.x, but
they can't be on 24/7 because of the noise, heat, and power draw.
I've got a headless 5300cs (display cable broke when I was screwing
around with it too much) that I suppose I could configure to boot
into IPNetRouter and do all the routing for me - it runs 8.5.  But I
can't configure the HD yet, no display and all that, and no external
video either...  When my 5300ce gets here, I'll swap HDs, set up the
software, replace HDs, boot up the 5300cs and tell you all how it
works.

Thanks for all the help!  Everything works great - better than I
expected even (except for the MacIP stuff).

I'm going to go play with my Duo now, and set it up running a non-stop
slide show of black and white Calvin & Hobbes comic strips...  ;-)
Tee hee...

Peace out!
Drew

P.S. - RadioShack didn't have any 120ohm resistors...  I bought some
100ohm and 22ohm resistors and wired them in series for 122ohms total.
 The alternative was to wire two 100 and 22 ohm resistors in parallel
for ~18ohm equivalent resistance, then wire another 100ohm resistor in
series for ~118ohms, but I figured 122ohm would be fine, required less
work, and uses few parts.  Works fine. ;-)  Besides, w/ 5% tolerance
on 100ohms, ... well, it's good enough for government work, eh?  heh

--
Having graduated (with a physics BS :-P), I will be using the email
address <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  Please update your address book.