Russell - Unknown1 - Idaho USA wrote:
> 'frustratingly complicated' doesn't that just sound like a 'required
> specification' for work? :<{)
>
> I think I will need something that will export to an autocad-type file,
> maybe something like GraphicConvertor can do that?

No. Graphic Converter ONLY deals with raster formats: gif, pict*, jpeg,
etc (for a list of about 50 file types!) Files that have a set
resolution, and are all variants on bitmap files.

Autocad deals with *vector* files; the main interchange type is DXF.

But, fear not, Thorsten Lemke (author of GC) also makes Cadintosh, which
does export to DXF files, and is, in fact, a rather slick little CAD
product, that for $32 is a steal.

<http://www.lemkesoft.com>

However, in the long run, if your goal is to learn *Autocad* in
particular, rather than CAD in general, you have no real choice than
getting a PC with Autocad.

(Big $$$)

There are Mac programs that compete (and compete rather well) with
Autocad in functionality, the deal with Autocad is learning the interface.

And there you really don't have much choice; the 'No Macs!' rule at
Autodesk is reputedly handed down from On High: Autodesk will not make a
Mac version of Autocad *ever* again.

(the only Mac products they sell, in fact, are Discreet products, which
were being done for the Mac before Autodesk bought 'em and even Autodesk
can't ignore the presence of the Mac in film and video work)

They tried, once, back in the lat 80's, to pawn off a stupendously
craptacular port, expecting that all the Mac users would flock to it;
they had their heads handed back to 'em on plates.

ISTR that that singularly shoddy port lead directly to the creation of a
number of their competitors, like Ashlar and Vectorworks. It's ppoor
reception lead to the No Mac Port rule at Autodesk.

*If you look at products like Cadintosh they advertise that they output
to pict files as well. The Pict file format actually comes in two
varieties: raster as well as vector formats. Some programs have greater
or lesser functionality with the two; raster pict files are more
portable, in the cross-platform sense.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona