Any AOL people here?

(Wallstreet, OS 8.1, AOL 5 v.19.45, Viking PC card modem}

All of a sudden about 3 weeks ago I could not sign on to AOL on the WS.  I've
made no changes or additions to the computer.  It will dial the number and go
no further.  All access numbers (5) produce the same results.  Once in a
while it will get as far as "connected at 49999 bps" and then hang.  The
phone line has been checked, is fine.  No problems connecting with my iBook.

What I have done:

   Trashed the usual AOL prefs (3.0, external, access numbers, window size,
art db, cache, temporary, etc.), Explorer prefs, MS Internet prefs, etc. as
well as the modem prefs.

   Checked all AOL Setup settings.  Everything is correct.

   Checked AOLLink in My AOL>Preferences.  It shows AOL Link Enhanced.
Clicked the Configure button anyway.

   Re-installed the Viking modem.

   Returned the modem to Viking for a replacement, which was a waste of
everyone's time (and their money...).

   Re-installed AOL from a CD.  It successfully connected to the 800 number
to get my access numbers.  I was hopeful, but still could not get online
after setting up the numbers and modem info.

   Asked for help at the AOL/Mac Help message board.   Tried the following
suggestion:

   Changed the TCP/IP "connect via" to show FreePPP.  Saved.  Then changed
back to "AOL Link Enhanced" and saved.

Ideas, anyone?  Thanks.