It could be a potential HD problem.  However, I'm wondering if the PRAM battery being
dead could cause this.  Is the unit plugged in the whole time?  Is the charger working?

It's fairly easy to put a new HD into but you will need the Torx screw driver to get
into it.  There used to be a web page that had step by step instructions and some
photos but I can't find it now.  You take out the three screws from the bottom, lift
out the keyboard, remove the palm rest and there's the HD under the left side of the
palm rest.

Once the new drive is installed then boot off a Mac OS CD and reformat the drive and
install the OS.

 Tom Roth  *  tel 336.716.4493
 Wake Forest University School of Medicine
 Dept of Biomedical Communications
 Medical Center Blvd  *  Winston-Salem, NC 27157
 http://www.wfubmc.edu/biomed/