--- Tom Roth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> It could be a potential HD problem.  However, I'm
> wondering if the PRAM battery being dead could cause
> this.  Is the unit plugged in the whole time?  Is
> the charger working?

Hmmmm....

My gut feeling would be no.  Although the PRAM battery
does cause startup problems which almost religiously
appear when you leave the unit sitting unused for a
few days, these problems generally have symptoms of
teh machine not powering on at all.  I haven't seena
PRAM problem cause System Folders to disappear or
flashing Question marks on boot... But I suppose
theres a first time for everythign ;-)

If it were mine, to be safe, I'd probably just change
both at the same time.  They are both cheap, and if
I'm going to have the case open, better to open it
once than twice.  I'd say you should be able to find
the PRAM battery for >$15 (Wasn't there a thread a few
days ago that said MacResQ has them on clearnece for
just a couple dollars?) and a decent 20gb or even 10gb
hard drive can be had for under $50...

Like Tom said, changing them out is simple and
invloves using your Torx screw driver to remove the
three screws on the bottom of the case holding the
keyboard in and then gently lifting the clips securing
the palm rest down once the keyboard is up.  The hard
drive is under there.  The PRAM battery is toward the
top side of the case and will involve also removing
the one screw holding down the speaker assembly.  All
in all a piece of cake.

Not sure if this is the website with illustrations Tom
mentioned or not, but it does explain how to do it
with pictures...
http://home.earthlink.net/~richardinsd/Supersizeyour3400.html

Cheers,
Sionnach