> Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 11:54:23 -0400
> Subject: Running Mac OS on a Windoze PC?
> From: John Webb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> We may have covered this before, so excuse me for bringing this
up again. Is
> it possible to run a Mac OS on a Windoze laptop? [...]I would
assume that Mac OS X would have no
> problem seeing that it is UNIX based, am I right in assuming
this or is it
> just wishful thinking?

It is a little more than wishful thinking--Apple has developed a test version of OSX
for Pentium class processors, which wasn't hard because, as you say, it is UNIX.  But
whether Apple will switch its hardware to Intel/AMD chips is as yet still the subject
of rumor, and even if they did they would most likely produce proprietary
machines--you would be able to install WinXP on a Mac machine, but not vice-versa.  So
it's unclear in the end how much cheaper the machines would get.  If you were looking
at PIII's for your laptop anyway, aat this point you might as well get an
iBook--pretty good value.

Also, to point out one more problem with an emulator like BasiliskII on a laptop:  it
consumes upwards of 90% CPU power even while idle, which can't be good for battery
life...

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

Get 4 DVDs for $.49 cents! plus shipping & processing. Click to join.

"Free price comparison tool gives you the best prices and cash back!"
http://www.bestbuyfinder.com/download.htm