> I've tried transferring a Word file using a floppy disk to a PC
> running Windows 98.  I used a disk that was formatted on the PC, put
> it into the 1400, and it shows up as a PC disk.  Dragged the Word
> file to it.  Ejected and put it into the PC's A drive.  When I try to
> open it, the PC says the disk is not formatted and can't open it.
> I've tried formatting it with the 1400 as a DOS disk.  Same story.
> Copying a file to the disk on the 1400 destroys the disk's ability to
> be read on a PC.  Have tried it with several PCs, all with the same
> effect.

Ha! Someone else has observed this problem!

The interesting thing is that the disks were readable in a *DOS* based PC,
not in Windows 2000. Windows complained about the disk, but DOS didn't care.

At the time I had this happen, I was running 8.1 on my 1400. Since then,
I've upgraded to 9.1, but I haven't had to exchange data since.

I got around the problem by using the DOS PC as an intermediary and putting
the file there, then formatting a PC on the DOS system and copying the file
to that. The Windows machine would accept it then.

Write-protecting the disk prevented the disk from being munged, so I think
it has to do with the extra data structures PC File Exchange puts on the
floppy to manage resource forks and such.

Again, this might be cured in 9.1. I haven't tried since the upgrade, since
all the PCs I own run DOS, not Windows.

 Cameron Kaiser, Point Loma Nazarene University * [EMAIL PROTECTED]
-- Murphy's Law is recursive. Washing your car to make it rain doesn't work. --