I second the motion, use filesharing to install from a mounted CD from
the 6320. Even if you can locate an unused set of 8.1 floppies, at this
point you'd stand a very good chance of getting at least one dud in the
lot. Those floppies aren't exactly archival quality media, and it's been
a long time since they were produced.

You've tried?:
   . . . replacing the filesharing bits on the 8.1 Mac with the
filesharing items the 9.1 Mac?
   . . . deleting/replacing the invisible "AppleShare PDS" files on the
8.1 Mac's volume(s)?
                Corrupted AS PDS files can cause the problem you
describe.

Also, delete any filesharing prefs. Easiest way to replace/delete
troublesome preferences is to drag the Prefs folder to the desktop, then
restart. A new Prefs folder will be created by  the system and will fill
with new prefs for everything that gets used, including filesharing
stuff. Once you get it working, make a BU copy of the old and new Prefs
folders, then drag (all or some of) the contents of the 'new' folder into
the 'old' prefs folder, replacing all the same-named items. Then drop the
'old' Prefs folder (now with a bunch of new prefs) back into the System
folder to replace the 'new' Prefs Ÿ.

BTW, I'd be pleased to extract the filesharing components from the CD's
8.1 installer tome and put them up somewhere for your DL convenience,
just say the word. (Listnannies: I'll not publish the address here, and
the fellow obviously has the right to the files, just hasn't a complete
set of media - DK {am I paranoid or what?})

Dan K

On 11/4/02 Andrew Kershaw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>James,
>
>If you can browse the 6320's drive on your 190cs, you can also use
>your 190cs to view CDs mounted in the 6320 via AppleTalk.  (Er, your
>6320 does have a CD-ROM drive, doesn't it?)
>
>Long and short - You don't have to find 8.1 on floppies.  Get the CD,
>stick it in your 6320, share it with your 190cs, and install 8.1 over
>AppleTalk onto the 190cs.
snip

Send list messages to:  <mailto:powerbooks@;mail.maclaunch.com>
For digest mode, email: <mailto:powerbooks-digest@;mail.maclaunch.com>