Andrew Kershaw wrote:
> I'm not entirely certain of this, but I think the MAC address for the
> ethernet "card" on newer (read PCI-based) Macs is set in OpenFirmware.

Actually, the MAC address is set in silicon, as it were, in the Ethernet
hardware. Apple Lan Utility (which he mentioned) allows you to override
it on a number of Mac models, including the 7500, 8500 and 9600. Newer
ones may be changable in Open Firmware, as you said.

There are circumstances where changing the MAC address is desirable and
necessary (the Readme included with ALU mentions SNA and DECNet
environments. They shut down the DECNet here at the U something like 7
or 8 years ago...), though spoofing other devices is the usual reason to
do so anymore.

Here is the relevant section regarding DECNet:

(from
<http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/ito_doc/decnet.htm> )

" DECnet hosts do not use manufacturer-assigned Media Access Control
(MAC)-layer addresses. Instead, network level addresses are embedded in
the MAC-layer address according to an algorithm that multiplies the area
number by 1024 and adds the node number to the product. The resulting
16-bit decimal address is converted to a hexadecimal number and is
appended to the address AA00.0400 in byte-swapped order, with the
least-significant byte first. For example, DECnet address 12.75 becomes
12363 (base 10), which equals 304B (base 16). After this byte-swapped
address is appended to the standard DECnet MAC address prefix, the
address is AA00.0400.4B30."

To put anything on a DECNet network, you gotta spoof the MAC address....

And this concludes todays 'Ancient Computing History' lesson...

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona