The sys extensions in 9.x are rather daunting. The worst, though, was
moving from 8.1 to 8.5, since there was a lot of junk left in the
extensions folder that was no longer used. There are a few websites
that give more info. about extensions if you are unsure about what they
do. (Note: if you think this is bad, X has about 35,000 little files
that are far more mysterious...)

Here is the way I manage my 9 extensions. After a clean or initial
install, and before moving anything back into the ext. folder, select
all extensions and assign them a color code. Then move the others back
into the folder by type, assigning them a different color as well. I
have a different color for peripheral devices, utilities (all the
Norton and TechTools stuff), graphic and multimedia other than
QuickTime, etc. etc. You can have as many categories as there are file
colors and you can arrange the extension folder itself by these
categories.

This is also quite handy when trying to identify an extensions
conflict. Just move one set at a time out of the folder and reboot and
find the offending group. Then you can narrow it down to one specific
extension. Also if you have to do a clean install again, it is much
easier moving the extensions back by group than trying to keep two
folders labeled "extensions" side by side and wondering if you've moved
something to the wrong place.