>Still, I'm impressed that you can get 9.1 down to 20MB of RAM.  I'd
>love to hear what you have installed in the way of system
>components...

turn on VM :)

21 meg for system with VM on
34 megs for system with VM off

9.1 on 1400cs/G3/400, 60 real RAM

I have tons of extensions installed (90 megs anyway); Office98, Photoshop,
many tools for multimedia authoring (even though they don't look super on
the 1400cs it's been handy to have Premiere, Sounedit16, etc on their for
converting formats), many shareware tools, internet apps, fax software,
tons-o-crap about sums it up.  The big HD is a very nice upgrade.

I don't think it's too hard to get the 9.1 system to close to 20 megs.  I
think I even have Appleguide and  Speaktext/ Speech Recognition and other
system RAM hogs enabled; sometimes I have turned those off though on other
setups as they take up huge amounts of system RAM and they usually don't do
much for you.  I might have one or two turned off on my laptop but I know
some are active.  If I turned all of them off I think I usually run aroun
18 megs or so.

I would have expected a battery life difference but it seems about the
same- on my original battery, 1hr to 1hr 15 min or so whether VM is on or
off.  I do have a nice IBM drive in there though which is likely much more
efficient than the stock drive was.

Brian