The funky, neat-o, disco-esque shimmer effect is caused by your
display trying to draw more colors than either it supports natively
(shouldn't be an issue with an active matrix display) or trying to
draw colors that aren't in the system palette.  I suspect that your
problem stems from the latter.

The 5300cs (and some PowerBooks 5300c) only has 512KB of VRAM on the
logic board.  That's just enough to display 8-bit color at 640x480.
To display thousands of colors (16-bit color) you need 1MB of VRAM.
I find it a little surprising, actually, that after you upgraded your
display you have the option of using 1000's of colors.

Short answer:  Reducing to 256 colors should reduce the shimmering.

I'm in the midst of a project to upgrade the VRAM on my 5300cs
motherboard from 512KB to 1024KB.  I've soldered the RAM on and
double checked everything, but the ce display I have still doesn't
work correctly.  It's not immediately obvious where the problem lies
- except for a missing 8MB RAM on the cs motherboard, the ce and cs
variants now look pretty darn similar, right down to the CPU speed
;-) Both are now 117MHz...

Peace,
Drew
--

<http://homepage.mac.com/alk/>
"There are of course many problems connected with life, of which some