>Hi all just dropping a line to get some tips i have virtual pc 2.1.2 with
>windows 98 and am trying to get it to run on my book but everytime i launch
>it vpc crashes

>also one other thing any one out there found a way to put the airport
>drivers on a 1400 and actually work ? i have scrubbed the net high and low
>looking for a way to get airport to run my lucent wireless card to no avail.

The latter first- go to Lucent's website and use their software; the
airport software will never work on the 1400.  One Lucent tech told me to
use a slightly older version than the current one, with my 1400, but I'm
not where I can check what I have installed.

You need VPC 4 for using Win98, I believe.  Hard to tell since connectix
support for older versions is nonexistant.  Don't bother emailing them to
ask they'll just send you a from letter rejection.  But I'm pretty sure
that's correct.  I don't think much of connectix anymore, they've changed a
lot as a corporation.  I've bought VPC 2 and upgraded to  3,4 and won't be
buying any more, even though it's handy to have.

Are you using a disk image and VPC from a desktop installation?  I think
not as VPC really shouldn't support Win98 very well.  To get my Win95 disk
image onto the 1400, I just installed VPC onto the 1400, then copied my
working C and D drive images from my desktop, and told VPC to use them.

I use VPC 3.x with Win95/OSR2 on my 1400/G3 400/ 60 RAM.

I tried to put VPC 4 on, so that I could load Win98, and it would not run
as even with a minimal extension set I didn't have enough RAM for it to be
happy (VM doesn't count, it won't run without "real" RAM available).  Gone
are the days in which you tell it how much to use, it dynamically allocates
it as it sees fit.

I would look for a cheap VPC 3.x copy, it's alot nicer than 2.x IMO, and
you're pretty much stuck with Win95 on the 1400 unless somehow someone with
64 RAM is able to get just over the edge, that I can't with my 60.  With
48, there's just no way.

If someone has different experiences, I'd love to read about them.

Brian