There's been a lot about batteries on this list so if you can access the archives
you'll find a wealth of information.  But to summarize it, at least once a week (once
a month at the very least) unplug the AC and use the battery until you get the warning
message that the computer is about to go into a forced sleep mode unless you plug it
in.  Then let the battery fully charge.  Also see Sionnach's recommendation about
topping it off once it's fully charged.

~tom