> ----------
> From:         Hardy Menagh
> Subject:      Re; PBook Ghost Connections
>
> With the Open Transport 1.1.2, OT PPP 1.0 setup on OS 7.x - 8.1, The PPP
> panel displays the address you are connected to, pretty much the same as
> Remote Access on later systems. I collected several of these when connected
> with the G3. Most only had different last numbers. I entered them in the
> Name Server Addr. field of the TCP/IP panel. Sometimes Remote Access
> displays one of the addresses, sometimes a different one. The same is true
> of the PPP panel on the earlier systems. It seems to ignore the specified
> addresses. Since connecting with the Mac Plus and G3 was not a problem, I
> never gave it another thought until the PowerBooks wouldn't budge from the
> ISPs server.

Those numbers may not necessarily be operating DNS.  Usually an ISP would have two DNS
servers and then a third one listed outside of their network.

> I have asked the ISP for the correct
> addresses or if they can verify the ones I have. I may or may not hear from
> them but hey, I'm learning new stuff here! Thanks.

Here's an IP address of a DNS server somewhere in North Carolina.  It's the one they
have configured here as the external DNS.

128.109.193.1  You usually want a DNS that is closer to you but in a pinch this might
do.

 Tom Roth  *  tel 336.716.4493
 Wake Forest University School of Medicine
 Dept of Biomedical Communications
 Medical Center Blvd  *  Winston-Salem, NC 27157
 http://www.wfubmc.edu/biomed/