At 1:55 PM -0500 1/17/2003, Tom Roth wrote:

>even try going to apple's website via the IP number instead of name.
>
>Instead of:
>
>http://www.apple.com/
>
>Try:
>
>http://17.112.152.32/
>
>If using the name doesn't work but using the IP address does, then it's a
>DNS problem.  If neither works then you have other problems.

That worked fine I even got to my ISPs home page by using
<http://208.9.129.10/> which is now properly in the DNS fields on all my
Macs.

I sent this to the list at 1:52 pm Eastern but I didn't get it back so here
it is again, in case it didn't post:

>To answer my own question. Yes there is a difference between the IP
>address and the DNS and that is why my OS 7.5.5 - 8.1 PowerBooks wouldn't
>go anywhere when connected. Thanks to Tom and Bruce and to OTTool, These
>PBooks are on line! Now can somebody tell me why my System 6 & OS 8.6 Macs
>didn't care that I had the IP address in the DNS field? It's only a
>curiosity question at this point.
>
>Thanks again,

I just want to be sure you guys were thanked properly :)

Hardy Menagh, emailed from a 1400c

A good friend will help you move. A really good friend will help you move a
body.