On Friday, January 17, 2003, at 10:08  AM, Matthew Guemple wrote:

> We could do the deal through and Escrow service and split the cost.
> You send
> them the money and they hold it. I send you the machine. You have
> say... 2
> days to make sure it's cool, if not you send it back, if you like it
> you
> tell them and they pay me.

I'm pretty sure this email was intended to be off- list, but it brings
up a good point- I used to do quite a bit of trading on ebay with Macs
and once I had an old pee-cee laptop to sell. The buyer bought it and
asked if I'd do escrow, and I thought, sure- I have nothing to hide.
Well, he dutifully paid the escrow, so I sent it, but when the guy had
it, he told the escrow company I'd sent a laptop with no HD, RAM or
CPU. Of course, he was lying, but once that parcel is in his possession
there's nothing you can do and it's your word against theirs. So, he
shook me down for a 50% discount, which, I obviously had to accept: We
both knew if I didn't I get back a laptop *without* a HD, RAM or a CPU.

Chalk it up to lessons learned.

Cathy