To my most recent cry of desperation about my flaky 5300:

>> I was typing away happily in Word (on the battery FWIW), when all of
>>a sudden the machine started inserting a string of extra "n's" between
>>the letters.  What is going on with this machine???????  A virus
>>maybe?  A hardware problem?

Donn responded:

> Probably the last.  My "new" 5300 started the extra letter bit (lower
> case L), but only when I was in the File Sharing CP, or setting up the
> modem user name and password.  And then it wouldn't boot.  Normal chime,
> then a 'click,' and that was it.
>
> Reseated the RAM card and the connection to the HD.  Suspect the RAM
> card, but why not do both if the thing is anesthetized on the operating
> table?

It turned out to be *both* the RAM card *and* the keyboard.  By the time I
got around to fiddling with the computer it had gotten bored with typing
endless n's and refused to boot at all -- there was absolutely no response
whatsoever to the power key or reset button, no chime, no screen, no Mac be
he sad or happy.  So, took the card out (even though it seemed very firmly
seated) -- still nothing.  Then I replaced the keyboard for lack of anything
better to do (and having an extra one at hand):  it then booted and ran as
well as ever, without even one token ping at startup.  So figuring "it's the
keyboard, stupid!" I stuck the card back in, and once again no boot
whatsoever.

OK, it's "fixed," meaning I've got a 16MB machine with keys that feel like
typing through a layer of molasses, that requires a full compliment of VM to
function.  But better lobotomized than lunatic.

Many thanks,
Victoria
--
"Our earth is degenerate in these latter days; bribery and
corruption are common; children no longer obey their parents; and the