I run 8.6 on a 1400/133, it is a snappy little system, although I would
prefer it use a little less memory for the system, it is up to about 20 MB.
I agree, a G3 would be great, but that would mean paying more for an upgrade
card than I did for the whole machine, which is a little overboard,
considering it runs what it needs to (Office 98) well. :-)

I think the choice of operating system will change from person to person. If
you want features over speed go for 9.x if you want speed over features go
for 6.0.8 (just kidding :-)). In general, the older the OS, the faster. A
good compromise for me is 8.6, but then again, I have a jaguar machine I use
as a desktop, so I don't need the features 9 might offer. 8.6 has everything
I'd want, like command-tab application switching, contextual menus, HFS+
support, and most 3rd party peripherals seem to want 8.6 as a minimum os.