Yesterday Dan recommended:

>> The Network Access floppy disk will allow you to use the serial port for
>> network access. Then you can load enough of OS 8.x onto your boot
>> partition to allow booting the HD with the GV extension.

Then Drew threw cold water all over the idea:

> Well, sure, it WOULD if Network Access would boot on the 5300.  The
> 5300 requires Mac OS 7.5.2 with PowerBook 5300 Enabler.
>
> Network Access is plain 'ole 7.5
>
> At least, it didn't work the last time I tried it, and I'm fairly
> certain that I've read elsewhere that Network Access won't boot a
> 5300 for the reasons given above.
>
> Too bad we can't net boot these things... ;-)

Drew -- you are so right (!@#$%).  I downloaded the Network Access image,
made the floppy, and it won't boot.  So scratch that.  (Also scratch the
complete floppy system 7.5 that I'd thought of all along as a last resort
safety net:  if anyone would like to have this set for the price of the
postage, please get back to me off the list.)

However . . . I've also got an 8.5 Disk Tools floppy, and that *does* boot
the 5300.  It contains nothing that will allow networking even over a serial
cable, but does have Drive Setup Lite which seems capable of reinitializing
and partitioning the HD.  So is it possible to do that, copy the minimal
system folder onto one of those partitions, use floppies to add enough
extensions for networking (AppleTalk, Chooser, the GV ethernet stuff, and
???), then do a clean reinstall of the whole OS 8.5 over the network?  Or if
that's not the procedure to follow, what's a better way?  Since the PB does
function passably at the moment I hesitate to take such a drastic step as
wiping the drive without assurance that there's someplace to go from there.

Thanks so much for all the help.

Best,
Victoria