Drew wrote:

>FWIW, using a separate partition for VM storage won't speed VM up.
>VM will just fragment the partition instead of your whole disk.  Once
>the partition is fragmented, VM will slow back down - I don't see any

A dedicated VM partition should never get fragmented, the swap file is
one file, not many small files.

>advantage here (beyond not fragmenting your data partitions).  It
>might be a good idea not to frag up the rest of your disk too hard
>(fragmentation lengthens boot time and drive access time), but

That's the point, the VM swap file need never interact with user files,
_if_ on a separate volume.

And then Drew wrote:

>Well, that sort of depends.  Once you partition a disk, if you want
>to reformat an individual partition using a Drive Setup, you have to
>reformat the ENTIRE disk.

Heck, we all do this all the time, in Finder - "Erase Disk".

>IMO this is a major fault of drive setup,
>but I understand it does this to protect the integrity of the
>partition table.  You can jump through hoops using 3rd party disk
>formatters (or my favorite - pdisk) to format individual partitions...

Integrity of partition tables? What the heck are you talking about here
Drew? <BigGrin>

>But what I believe you are thinking of is not re-formatting the
>partition but optimizing or defragmenting it.  You _can_ do that to
>individual partitions without trouble.  DiskWarrior does this
>excellently.

This is one of the big advantages of using a volume for VM _only_. If one
_needs_ to defragment the volume, boot with extensions off and erase the
volume in the Finder (can't erase it if VM is using it.) OTOH, I'm pretty
darn sure the OS builds a new swap file at each startup, and the file
isn't a bunch of scattered small files but one large contiguous file
(assuming a clean VM partition.) If VM is on a dedicated partition, it
doesn't have to dance around all the other clutter one creates during
normal operations.

>Here's a question for VM/disk drive gurus:  If you decrease the
>minimum block size from 4K to .5K under HFS+, will this speed up VM?
>When VM reads from a drive, it reads a whole block at once.  If the
>blocks are smaller, will this speed it up?

Good question that I'm sure's already been answered by somebody
somewhere. I'll keep it in mind though and test it for myself next time
I'm fooling about with an empty drive. How do block sizes affect
throughput in other operations, such as Finder copies? The same
principles may not be relevant with VM though and I haven't the foggiest
idea how the classic Mac OS does reads/writes to its swap file.

Dan K (who's proving to be just as stubborn as Drew!)  : >)