>>I have a Compaq PC with an ethernet card running Windows XP with a parallel
>>printer. I want to access the printer with my PB 1400c, OS 8.6, Global
>>Village PC card with an ethernet dongle.
>>
>>Can this be done?
>
>Sorry to burst your bubble, but probably not.
>
>Services for Macintosh is only available on Win XP Pro (correct?),
>and you probably have XP Home.  Mostly it just provides access to the
>file sharing capabilities of a windows server so that AppleShare
>clients can access shared files.

Although, "Desktop Printer Utility" for Mac will support Windows networked
(ethernet, not appletalk) lpr printers.  If you go thru the Chooser you
won't see the lpr option , but if you use the aforementioned thing you can
specify network printers on the Windows network.

It still has to be a postscript printer, so most smearjets won't work this way.

It might be a DAVE printer utility renamed; they have it set up at work and
it does work jsut fine; I have an older version of DAVE at home and don't
recall the print utility  being named that, but at work they use DAVE 4.0
for the macs to access the windows fileshares, so maybe it's the DAVE
network printing doing the magic.  I'll check.  I confess I don't use the
macs much at work at present.
I'm sure it's got OS 8.6 though and I know it's printing via lpr.   I
*know* it's not happening thru any Appletalk type sharing- the printers
have no Appletalk services IDs or anything.

But IF you have a nice postscript printer and IF you want to put DAVE
client on your mac, I'm sure there's a way to share the printer via XP that
the Mac would be able to access at least via DAVE, even if not by some free
Apple interface.  DAVE would certainly be cheaper than buying a second
laser printer.

If you are printing to one printer from multiple computers with any
frequesncy a nice pays for itself pretty quickly, IMO.  Those cartridges
add up fast.

Brian