>>I am planning to buy a refurbished 5300c<<

OS 7.6.1 seems to be the fastest, and with the smallest RAM footprint
(about 8 MB).  8.1 is bigger and slower (about 11 MB), and 8.5.1 (15
MB++) is visibly slower.  PCMCIA modems are the easiest to use--leaves
the printer/modem port open.  I've a 28.8 and a 56K, and both work well.

You can run just about any OS from 7.1.3 on up to the 8's, but some apps
will complain about anything under 7.6.

iCab, Netscape, and IE all seem to work well with any of the above
OS's.  Eudora Lite or Pro is good for e-mail.

Just as a personal prejudice, I'd forget about MS Word 98.  There are
other word processors that work as well, or better.