At 12:38 PM -0800 2/5/2003, pook la roux wrote:
>Does anyone on this list use a pc card smartcard
>reader with a 5300 or 3400?

Yes, I've used both a SmartCard and Compact Flash reader on a 5300
and a Original G3 (upgraded version of the 3400).  They work fine.
The one thing I found was with the SmartCard reader was to insert the
SmartCard into the PC Card and then insert the PC Card into the
computer.  If I inserted the PC Card into the computer first it
didn't work and in fact made the computer freak out.  Also make sure
you put the SmartCard in the right way.  It will fit if put in either
way but only works in one orientation.

I did have problems trying to insert the PC Card adapter in when I
already had wireless card inserted in the upper slot.  This isn't a
big problem for me as the main reason for reading the card on my
laptop is when I'm on the road where I'm not using the wireless (at
least not so far).

>I have a Fujifilm floppy card adapter, but it even
>says in the documentation not to use it on a
>PowerBook.  The first floppy adapter we bought was a
>Sony device, and it failed to work at all on any
>machine we own. (The Fujifilm gizmo works fine on my
>6500 ppc)

The PC Card reader should work much faster than the floppy adapter.
--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA