Hi,

I'm setting up a basic web/email/wp laptop for a friend, and I'd
appreciate opinions on the relative merits of the following:  a
540c/12/500, modem, ethernet, apparently dead batteries and no
PCMCIA, and a 190cs, unknown RAM/HD, unknown battery.  I'll be
fitting some basic audio and graphic design software for
non-professional use, but the main uses will be as above.  I
currently have the 540, but am considering trading it in on the 190.
Keeping costs down is an issue as we are both on limited incomes, and
she will probably also be spending money on accessories such as
scanner, printer, CD(burner? digicam?) in the near future.

It's likely to be her only computer for a couple of years, so  I can
imagine the expense of upgrading the RAM and HD are an issue.  Is the
190 HD ATA or SCSI?  (the 540 is SCSI, and the RAM seems expensive on
eBay).

I want this to be a happy experience for her, as she is a bit
tech-phobic in general, and new to Macs.  (One more for the fold,
muahahaha)

BTW the 540 was $145 AU ($65 US) and the 190 is $99 AU ($45 US)

Thanks all,

Clae.