Clae,

Obviously, you are in Australia, so I might be able to suggest another
alternative. I recently bought a powerbook 1400c for the princly sum of
$AU195. (about US$88) I realise this is a little more than both the machines
you mentioned, but after a trade in of your 540 I think you will be much
more impressed with the unit:

--
Score -1, it will be a little more expensive
--

--
My machine came maxed out at 64MB, probably a luck-of-the-draw thing, they
are ex-optus machines, and seem to be configured a little differently

--
Chances are, you will get a minimum of 750MB, which should be plenty of room
for basic word processing etc. Once again, I got one with 1.3 GB, but like I

--
No idea. I have a different machine I use to burn stuff, so haven't even
tried on this one. I assume it would work though...
--
PCMCIA slots are standard on the 1400, but aren't cardbus compliant. CD-Rom
modules are avaliable, but will cost you a bit extra. Floppy is of course
--
I got a 28Kbps/10BT pc card included, which covers me for my needs.
--
--
117/133/166 MHz of raw 603e power, G3 Upgradable!!
--
--
Bigger screen, 11.3 inches, better resolution, 800*600 (opposed to the
640*480) and more colours (16 Bit vrs 8bit)
--
1 battery bay, not particullarly smart, but mine lasts about 2 1/2 hours,
with max brightness and no HDD spin-down
--
I think this is the same type as on the Duo series. Very strong anyway...
--

--
Not sure here...
--
--
Sound in is included
--
--
1400 includes the same, probably already filled with a display - out adapter
--
--
Beutifull machine. I have had NO problems, case is in excellent condition.
--
--
1400 Includes IR
--
--
Only 1 speaker, but headphones are cheap...
--
--
Tap, double tap and tap-drag on the 1400

I don't mean to put down the 5x0 and 190 machines. They are excellent for
what they were designed to do, but if you are able to spare a little extra,
I can give you the number of a company in Sydney which deals in ex-lease
machines. Like I said, I bought mine through them, and have been very happy
with the result. By going PPC, you are also 'future-proofing' yourself a bit
I think...

Contact me off-list if you are interested.

John.