I'm the listmom, so I guess I can break my own rule against crossposting.

I've been thinking of this for about a week now, and I really want to do
a series of articles under the idea "I Can Do It on My Low End Mac."

In the past I've tried writing articles on how a Mac Plus or II is still
useful. I've decided that's the wrong approach. These articles should
come from the user community and explain what useful things old Macs can
do -- then go on to describe how low-end a Mac can do it.

Topics -- and these are just what comes to mind -- feel free to make
other suggestions:

* Email, esp. on a compact Mac

* Browsing reasonably well on a 68K Mac (even ancient Power Macs do a
much better job than most '030 models -- muuuuuuuch better)

* Sharing an Internet connection

* Setting up a LocalTalk bridge

* Good writing setups -- software and hardware

* A home/small business file server using Personal File Sharing

* Games that are lots of fun on low-end Macs

* Using QuickTime to import/export video or record TV (poor man's TiVo or
Replay TV)

* Setting up a dedicated fax machine with an old Mac, software, and fax
modem

* Voice mail with an old Mac instead of a plain old answering machine

* Working with digital photos on a low-end Mac

* Connecting an old LocalTalk only Mac to ethernet

For a lot of these, there are several different solutions. We've
published a few pieces like this in the past, such as why the Mac Plus is
such a great writing machine.

Article should include minimum and recommended hardware requirements and
OS requirements.

Discuss this on the lists -- and if you'd like to write an article on one
of these topics or something else of this type, email me at my listmom
address.

Thanks!

--
Dan Knight, president, Cobweb Publishing, Inc.
 <http://cobwebpublishing.com> <http://lowendmac.com>

In a world without walls or fences, who needs windows or gates?