Well, this IS a dilly of a pickle...

The internal CD drive should be able to start-up of a disk. If not, there is
something wrong with the disk or the drive. Your external drive: is it
apple-branded? Older non-apple Cd-drives were more difficult to get working
(from memory) because apple didn't support them in the OS.

Is the CD you are trying to boot up off ok? What version of the OS is it? I
tried booting my 1400 using a tech tool pro disk, which didn't work, not
sure why, but my guess is incompatible OS (9.0.4). Sounds dumb, but try
cleaning it, by wiping from the centre of the disk outwards, and working
your way around. Wiping in a circle (i.e., along the track the laser reads)
can destroy the disk, so try to avoid that :-)

If you have one, use an original Mac OS disk. Otherwise, try using a floppy
disk to start 'er up. All you need to do (by the sounds of it) is get to the
finder. Regardless of what drivers/extensions are installed, you can always
manually remove the time-sync extensions, which are the original reason for
this whole calamity...

---
John