My limited understanding of ATA drives is that the computer looks on the
'master ATA' drive first, then the secondary. You would probably have to set
your powerbook HD to slave mode (using jumpers on the disk itself).
Otherwise, like you say, the computer may start-up off the powerbook drive,
or simply not recognise it, or crash on startup. Three scenarios which are
useless to you :-)

Of course, it could also simply work without a problem first go...

But I've posted too many mails today already, I better let someone else get
a word in...

--
John