>OK, suppose I pull it from the PB and plug it into my G4 tower as a
>secondary drive. What will happen when I boot the G4. Will it know it isn't
>the startup drive?

You'd have to buy a IDE 3.5" to 2.5" cable converter for sure- no big deal,
$4 online from Computer Geeks or $10-14 from a local computer store.  That
will let you hook up a laptop drive on a desktop IDE bus just fine- in fact
it's the easiest way to install a Windows OS on an empty laptop drive for
many PC laptops (if DOS drivers don't exist for their Cd-ROM, for example
if you only have a PC Card IDE/CDROM that doesn't have DOS drivers).

Bigger Q is whether on your G4, did Apple get around to finally using a
"real" IDE controller or their half-umm...way desktop implementation that
only allows one IDE device per channel and not a true master/slave combo
like all other ATAPI/IDE controllers on the planet.  It might have started
to be implemented with the later revisions of the B/W G3 but that's a
subject for another list (I'd say if I knew for certain, but I don't).  The
B/W G3 had a IDE HD, ZIP, and CD-Rom but there was something funny IIRC and
replacing the zip or adding a 2nd drive I think was still an issue at least
with some versions of the B/W G3.  Maybe LEM web site has some info here,
those things are old now...

I think by the 2002 G4's they finally were using 1995 IDE technology and
you could put a master/slave drive combo on one cable,  but that's a lot
newer model Mac than I have had to work on at this point.

>What if I rename the HD in my PB, then do the above? Would that prevent the
>G4 from mistakingly booting it as the startup drive?

I would think that the boot disk on the G4 would retain it's "blessed"
system folder and be able to keep track of which drive was which via PRAM.
Regardless of the name.  There's more to ID a drive's location than name
(bus, position, etc).

>If that would work, then I can pull the CD ribbon and plug the newer drive
>into it and use Disk Copy to drop the old drive onto it, right?

I find it unlikely that the internal IDE ribbon (CD or HD) of a G4 would
match the 2.5" 1400 laptop HD connector, you need the aforementioned
adapter.   Unless they are doing something weird with G4 desktops IDE bus
anyway and running slow, hot (in comparison) laptop drives on them...

I was going to reply earlier and ask if you had a desktop Mac that you
could try the IDE laptop cable adapter thing with, but I refrained,
thinking that someone who was putting up with a 1400 would not have the
later model Macs that this might work on :)

Like I said the cable adapter trick works a treat on Windows installs, I've
done this a few times, but as much as I like some things about Apple, they
have broken "standards" in the past and it might be a royal pain or just
impossible to do this with their IDE implementation, for no logical reason
whatsoever.

The one good thing about Macs is that if you can just figure out a way to
copy the files across to a new HD, even via a localtalk printer cable file
copy, it will be bootable when done, something which certainly isn't true
for Windows.

Anyway, with an adapter it COULD work.  you might have to pull off the
internal CD or ZIP on the G4 to make a place for the 1400 drive but it
would be fun if it all just worked once you got the cable adapter.

Brian