> I actually first tried a less invasive method that Apple recommends.
> Here's what I did (from Knowledge Base article 11368)

Double wow. This is one of those things that's too easy. Wouldn't have
thought a visible file could replace an invisible. Remind me tomorrow
to try and save a SimpleText document at the root level on my bosses
Mac at work and name it Desktop DB.

But what if say, you were using OS 9, launched Sherlock and told it
look for AppleShare PDS (with the invisibles option checked) and then
trash it. That might be faster yet, or at least save you from having to
trash the new dummy file. Speaking of dummy files, we use this old
chestnut at work (not that anybody asked): The System Folders each have
a SimpleText document named Servers. Prevents guest users from
accidentally successfully checking the "mount drive at startup" when
logging in to other Macs.

-David