At 12:14 AM -0500 2/24/2003, David Deckert wrote:
>  > I actually first tried a less invasive method that Apple recommends.
>>  Here's what I did (from Knowledge Base article 11368)
>
>Double wow. This is one of those things that's too easy. Wouldn't have
>thought a visible file could replace an invisible. Remind me tomorrow
>to try and save a SimpleText document at the root level on my bosses
>Mac at work and name it Desktop DB.

Odds are it won't let you as the Desktop DB files are always open IIRC.

>But what if say, you were using OS 9, launched Sherlock and told it
>look for AppleShare PDS (with the invisibles option checked) and then
>trash it. That might be faster yet, or at least save you from having to
>trash the new dummy file. Speaking of dummy files, we use this old
>chestnut at work (not that anybody asked): The System Folders each have
>a SimpleText document named Servers. Prevents guest users from
>accidentally successfully checking the "mount drive at startup" when
>logging in to other Macs.

Oddly enough you can't use Sherlock for this.  It will find the file
but won't let you delete it.

We use the Servers file trick at my daughters' school.  I think I've
used the technique for other things too as well as locking preference
files.  Sometimes you have to use a folder or a de-linked alias so it
doesn't attempt to read from the "file"
--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA