Drew wrote:

>Tee hee, I never thought that this was a good idea! ;-)  "Needer
>needer needer! Told you so."  Heh...
>
>I'll give you whatever help I can!

Now Drew, your reservations had _nothing_ to do with installing a new OS
on her blank HD. You just thought the idea of VM on a separate partition
was silly. <G>

OK Victoria, as I'm at least partly responsible for your predicament,
here're some solutions:

Idea #1) If you want to go ahead and do a full floppy install:

<ftp://ftp.cs.tu-berlin.de/pub/mac/mirrors/apple/support/PowerBook/PB_5300_
SW_Update/>

These are actual floppy images and will apparently install a clean OS
7.5.2, read this: "PB_5300_SW_Update.txt"

Idea #2) Use the Network SW Installer . . . :

<ftp://ftp.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English-Nort
h_American/Macintosh/Networking-Communications/Network_Software_Installer/Z
M-NSI_1.5.1.sea.bin>

to install Appletalk onto a Disk Tools floppy (use the custom install
option to install _just_ AT.) I tried the 7.5.3 and 7.6 Disk Tools 2
disks, discard the usual utility pair to make enough room. You'll need to
add the Chooser and the Appleshare Chooser extension (those bits from the
NAD seem to work OK) to access your AS network volumes. I'm browsing
volumes on my G3 DT under 9.2.2 from my 5300 as I type this. There
_should_ be enough room to install a enet PC card driver along with basic
enet support, but I've not tested that yet.

The end result of the above procedure provided me with a close
approximation of the good ol' Network Access Disk, but for PBs
5300/190/2300. I also constructed a similar disk for PB3400, but haven't
tested it yet.

Here's a weird thing, the 3400 Disk Tools floppy has v7.5.3 System and
7.5.5 Finder, plus "Minimal PowerBook 3400 Enabler". There's also an
extension called "Insomnia", which I presume keeps the 'Book from falling
asleep?

hth,

Dan K

PS: I'm not sure, but I think that's "Neener, neener, neener . . ."