Drew wrote:
>> I'm sorry you couldn't make it work.  I still think you might be
>> missing a piece here or there, though (like the OpenTransport
>> extension itself - you definitely need that).

AFAIK, OS8 requires OT, which I doubt can be squeezed onto a floppy. I
built an OS 8.1 disk but I haven't tried it yet on the 5300. If that
works (classic networking - ie: pre-OT), one could do an entire HFS+
format and install (using remote disk images and utilities of course.)
I'll write a report when I get around to trying it.

Victoria wrote:
>Howzat?  Not only is there no such thing in the 8.5 installation tome,
>there's nothing with that name (that is "OpenTransport" all by itself
>without "lib" or some other qualifier) on my 7600 running 8.6 -- and it does
>AppleTalk perfectly.  So too did the 5300 before its recent lobotomy.

Those are the OT bits to which Drew was referring I think.

Drew wrote:
>> Or, you could do the really hard 19-part download on your 2nd Mac,
>> mount the combined image, convert it with DiskCopy into 1 big fat
>> image, segment it with DropStuff into floppy-sized chunks, copy each
>> chunk to the empty space on your 5300, expand them with Stuffit
>> Expander, mount the big fat disk image, and install away. ;-)  ... or
>> not...  heh

Uhhh Drew?, now is that the _most_ complicated way you could think of to
do this? <G> I'd issue a challenge right now to _beat_ those contortions,
but I've already spent waaaay too much time futzing with this.  <G>

Dan K