> So what to try next????  Is there any way to rescue this thing, or is it
> destined to be a paperweight forever?

If it becomes a paperweight, then you, me, and everyone else on this list
has 'failed'. So lets start with the various options from the top... :-)

Suggestion 1.
Have you tried copying the individual parts to floppies? From what I can
remember, that isn't a simple drag and drop exercise, but rather, that you
go through disk copy. I have version 1.4 on my 1400, and it has under the
'utilities' menu the option to 'make a floppy' (I could send it to you, but
is a bit big to sent unsolicited).
Now, I'm not sure of course, but if you point it towards the first of the 19
files you downloaded, and stick a floppy in the drive, it should make a disk
something along the lines of "System 7.5.3 Disk 1". Anyway, if all goes well
so far, stick the newly made floppy disk into the 5300 and see if it boots.
If it does, then we (and with that, I mean you :-) are in luck. Go ahead and
make the 18 other floppies and slowly but surely install the system to the
hard drive. SHOULD work, in theory anyway.

Suggestion 2.
Failing the first suggestion, see if you can get the SCSI cable to work
again, I have never done that on a powerbook, maybe there is a key-stroke to
hold down whilst starting up??
The point is, once it appears on the 7600's desktop, try copying the 7600's
System Folder across (You may need to boot the 7600 up off a CD for this to
work, otherwise it may be 'in use'). I realise that the system might not
work, could be unstable (in fact, will _probably_ be unstable) but if it is
enough to boot the 5300, thatıs all we are going for. (I once ran a 5500/225
with a version of system intended for use only on an iMac!! Didn't run WELL,
but it ran, and was enough to install a fresh copy of the correct OS).
If this works, It may be worth your while trying to install a custom version
of 7.5.3. This way, you can then Upgrade again to whatever version you like,
this time, with the correct system for the 5300.

Suggestion 3.
See if you can find a cheapo external SCSI CD drive... Don't know if it will
work, but MAYBE you can start up/install off that??

Suggestion 4.
Let somebody else deal with it. If your 5300 is in good condition, you might
be able to sell it, and trade up to a different model. Place an add at ebay
for it... I don't know what they go for, but I'm sure you should be able to
get enough together to then go out and get yourself either another 5300
(WITH system this time) or even a x400. The joys of laptop CD-Rom could be
yours... :-)

Suggestion 5.
I you really love this laptop, I'm sure an apple centre will be able to
help, they have far more equipment to be able to deal with this kind of
problem. This will probably be a little more expensive though...

Suggestion 6.
See if anyone on this list can help, by lending you a SCSI CD-Rom drive or
something. I'm In Australia, so I doubt I'll be of much use to you :-)

Good luck with it all,

--
John