Hurray!  This is just to pass on the good word:  the 7.5.3 installer
actually worked the way it was supposed to (more or less), and installed the
system on my 5300.  This bit of ho hum absolutely floored me, since it is
the first according-to-expectations event on this machine in the week (at
least, feels like ten years) since I reformated the drive.

Anyway it's back in business, ethernet connection and all, and presumably
could be switched back to OS 8.5 (the original intention) any time, but with
only got 16 MB at present maybe it would be better to stick with 7.5 even
though that system is supposed to be unstable on the 5300.

Millions of thanks to everyone who helped get me back in business.

Best,
Victoria
--
Don't blame me, I voted with the majority.