>No. The link posted talks about I/O errors on the powerbook connected
>as disk mode. Moreover, the error only occurs when you try to read or
>write *beyond* the 4GB limit. I know this because as I read the link
>this morning. I was *successfully* installing OS 8.6 on a Powerbook
>5300 with a 4.5 gb drive in it via SCSI disk mode. Go figure.

Well I successfully installed MacOS 8.1 on the PowerBook, it was the
Quadra that had all the problems.

>Here is the tech note on Apple's developer
>site:<http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn1116.html>
>
>Here is the relevant bits:
>
>"This problem only affects PowerBooks prior to the PowerBook 3400
>(introduced in February 1997) with replacement ATA drives. There is a
>bug in the SCSI disk mode code of the PowerBook 5300 family, the
>PowerBook 2300c, the PowerBook 1400 family and the PowerBook 190
>family. To get the size of the ATA HD in these machines, the SCSI disk
>mode code gets two 16-bit values from the ATA driver that contain the
>size of the device in 512-byte blocks. The math to combine these two
>values was sign-extending the lower-16 bits, and could incorrectly
>calculate the size of the device (in other words, the size was always
>smaller than it should be). The symptom was that you would get I/O
>errors at the end of the last volume on the device when the SCSI disk
>mode code would think you were trying to access blocks off the end of
>the device. The last 16 megabytes of the drive will report I/O errors
>when you try to access that data area. "
>

>Your problem (which you describe as SCSI disk mode in reverse), is not
>possible.

But its happening I swear.  I'm sure I didn't dream up doing install
after install over a week long time span with the Quadra's hard drives
showing up on the PowerBook in the identical fashion.

>The Quadra can not work in that fashion.

I know thats what everybody is telling me.  However I don't know what
else to say.

>I truly suspect something else was happening, as if somehow the
>quadra's scsi bus was being taken over by the powerbook.

Well thats what I was assuming :)  I guess I've never actually used real
SCSI disk mode in the way that it was meant to be then.  Is the PowerBook
supposed to boot into the OS completely normal and as if nothing was out
of the ordinary?  Because thats what the Quadra does, as if it doesn't
even notice all of its mounted drives are showing up on a PowerBook.

>Are you
>positive it was a SCSI disk mode cable (all pins in the square
>connector) as opposed to a normal scsi connector ( one corner pin
>missing)?

Well if that pin is the indicator for the SCSI disk mode cable, then yes
it is a SCSI disk mode cable as it has all of the pins.

>(I cannot conceive of any other way you would see the quadra's drive

Not just its hard drive, but floppies and cd drives as well.

>on
>the desktop of the powerbook if the scsi ports were the only
>connection, and even then I not sure it's even possible...) though that
>could surely cause all sorts of havok if two controllers were trying to
>look at and write to a drive at the same time...

None of the PowerBook drives show up on the Quadra however.  It is like
the exact opposite of what is supposed to happen during SCSI disk mode :)

Confused...