I had asked for authoritative information on defective ac adapters
which could cause damage to PB 1XX main logic boards.  Clark Martin
helpfully suggested I could fix the damage if I was willing to do a
little soldering.

Doing one last google search, I came across an article in a '95
TidBITS.  <http://www.tidbits.com/tb-issues/TidBITS-269.html>

Here's the salient info:

> The original 15-watt AC power adapters shipped with the first models
> of PowerBook computers have damaged a number of PowerBooks. When the
> tip of the plug's plastic insulation becomes chipped, inserting it
> into a PowerBook - even when it's not plugged into an electrical
> outlet - can short out the PowerBook's internal fuse. Later power
> adapter models have a reinforced tip that prevents this damage. Apple
> has announced a "customer satisfaction program" to replace these
> original power adapters and any PowerBook fuses or logic boards
> damaged by this problem.
>
> Only the original model M5140 power adapters, manufactured from August
> 1991 through September 1992, exhibit this problem, and only these will
> be replaced under the program. The affected adapters have "Model
> M5140" printed on their labels, and were shipped with the PowerBook
> 100, 140, 145, and 170 models. In PowerBook 100s, damaged fuses can
> simply be replaced. In the other models, the fuses are not replaceable
> and the logic boards must be exchanged. Apple will offer free
> out-of-warranty replacements of the fuse or logic board, as
> appropriate.
>
> Users with these power adapters but without logic board damage may
> obtain a free replacement power adapter. PowerBook 100 owners will
> receive a 17-watt adapter, and owners of the other affected PowerBook
> models will receive a 24-watt adapter. This offer is available only
> through 29-Sep-95. Apple assures us that the old power adapters are
> being disposed of in an environmentally sound manner.

Bless Google and TidBITS!

Cheers,

Gary