First Tyler wrote:
>Does anyone know if there is a way to tell the speed of a 3400c from the
>outside? (Without booting up)
Good question, I'm stumped. The only thing that comes to mind is HD/ram
sizes and CD drive speed, but what the various models' specs were I can't
say without doing some serious digging into my archives for the original
data sheets. Of course that's only of limited value anyway as the odds
are high the 'Book has gotten some upgrades in the meantime anyhow. If
the 'Book cannot be started, the processor will have a speed etched into
it, but your question seems to imply you won't be able to disassemble it
down to the LB. : -)

Then John wrote:
>This is going to sound either very smart or very stupid:
>Doesn't it tell you after the name on the case? For example, "3400c/240"
>means it is a 240MHz Machine...
The 3400 series doesn't have model-variant specific badging (at least on
any example I've ever seen.)

>One note: If there isn't Ethernet on the back of it, then it will be one of
>the few 180Mhz machines sold without Ethernet (the other models had it
>standard)
You are probably thinking of the strippo 3400/180 ethernet-only model
which did not include a modem. AFAIK all 3400s came with at least
ethernet on an internal comm card.

Dan K