>> SCSI CD-ROMs are pretty cheap, now.  Isn't that the best way to go?
>> Paul
>>

> I guess that would work-the only problem is that the 6 gig drive I put in
> has no OS on it. I have a SCSI CD drive. How would the SCSI CD drive work?
> There would be no drivers  available for it.
> John

I've been able to start up a dead mac from a 3rd party SCSI CD-rom drive
before. I have a feeling that once the Mac is desperate to start-up, i.e.,
no HD, no apple brand CD-ROM, no floppy etc, then it will take just about
ANY kind of system disk to run. I say that, because it only started up from
it when the HD had no system folder on it. Once that was installed, it
refused to start off the cd anymore.

Hope this helps,

--
John