--- Brian M <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Afternoon all
> New poster

Welcome!

> I have a PowerBook 140 that (after sitting in a closet for a couple
> of
> years) won't boot up - no chimes, no drive whirr, nothin'
> either on battery or the cord or both.
>
> I have:
>    - Tried three different main batteries and three different power
> cords.  A PowerBook 160 will boot from the cord with or without two
> of
> the three batteries  (the third battery will stop it from booting up
> as
> well)
>    - Replaced the lithium battery inside with a fresh 3V one.
>    - Tried to search around both Google and this list's archives.

I got a used PB 145 with the same problem. I left it plugged in
overnight, and it worked the next afternoon.

> There was some mention of a fuse - where?

Don't know about any fuse.

> Any other suggestions?

Take out all circuit cards and check to see if anything is shorted.
Also check that all insulators are in place. Look at the cards to see
if there are any obvious signs of overheating/component failure such
as: discoloration, looks like it melted, loose things in sockets, etc.
Double check that the battery and power cord connectors are firmly
attached to the board and not shorting out.

> Brian
>
> PS  If it is toast - how many components can I use as spares for the
> 160?
>      ram, drives, modem, screen, keyboard, trackball?

The only different pieces are the CPU board and possibly the screen,
everything else should be identical. The CPU board should work, just
slower. The screen should work.

=====
PB145, iceBook
Classic II(x2), Performa 405,IIci
6100/66 DOS Compatible, Blue and White G3
and random bits and pieces

You are not drowning in old computer parts until you start charting tides...