Haha, yeah, I was :). I've since realised that buying the cheap card and
then the driver for it would be the same as just getting a card that works
from the start. So, obviously, I did that. Avaya Wireless Gold card
(Basically a re-badged Orinoco card)

Works, but I had to upgrade to 8.6 to install it. I don't think the 1400
likes that very much, I regularly get a 'pause' effect - Nothing works
(except mouse movement) for maybe 30 seconds, then a flurry of disk activity
and off we go again. Doesn't seem to be a pattern to it, other than it
happened last time I ran 8.6 on it as well. I'll see if I can download some
older drivers for the card, then backdate the OS to 8.1, which worked much
better.

A pity really, I like the colours of 8.6 better...

--
John