At 1:40 PM -0700 6/8/2003, David Allen wrote:
Try it with the battery removed from the PB. I'm not sure how the battery
charging system works, but many electronic devices can't be used with the
smaller inverters. I.E. heating coils, some transformers, etc. The
inverter sees these as a short circuit and shuts down to protect itself.
It might even be the transformer in your AC power brick in which case, you
will need the DC adapter to power from the cigarette lighter.  I was
planning on picking up a small 250 watt inverter to use with my 1400 in
the car. The DC adapter costs twice as much as the AC inverter. I guess
I'll have to rethink that.

Heating devices draw way more power than most inverters can handle. Some transformers can handle the quasi sine wave that most inverters put out and some can't.

The smallest inverters I've seen are 50W and while that isn't quite enough for powering a 3400's power supply at maximum output it is rare to never that they are drawing full power, even while charging a fully depleted battery. A power supply that is drawing full power isn't seen as a short circuit to the inverter. It may be seen as an overload (depending on the particulars) but most inverters have a short term overload capacity of about 150%.

Check out:
http://store.powerbook1.com/mceacandautp.html
DC adapter that will work with a 3400 for $30. I bought one and it works very well.
--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA