At 8:01 PM -0400 06/08/2003, Eric wrote:

The next level is an inverter that generates a stepped approximation of a sine wave. Instead of 1/60th second at -110 and 1/60th second at +110, it will be 1/180th second at -110 then 1/180th second at -55 then 1/180th second at +55 then 1/180th second at +110 etc(not exactly but you get the idea). This is good enough for most things. Higher quality units will have more steps and thus be closer to an actual sine wave.

Rather then trying to figure out if a given inverter could power your
laptop, I advise you to just get the DC power supply and not bother
with an inverter unless you have other things to power with it.

Yes, I should have said watts instead of volts.

These inverters are supposed to have "modified" sine waves. Is this what you mean as described above?

I don't have the inverter handy but the PB's wattage is nowhere near the inverter's maximum so unless they are defective it shouldn't be that.

Someone else suggested trying it without the battery. If all else fails I will live with whatever time my two batteries give me sequentially or buy a 12 volt adapter.

My original thinking of spending the money on an inverter rather than the 12 volt adapter is that I would then have an inverter for other uses. The only real use that has come up since I have had it (besides powering the laptop on long trips) is during the ice storm in December where the house electricity went out but the coffee pot drew too many watts to make coffee with the inverter! <grin>

thanks to the others who contributed to the thread.

Brian --

Brian Braunschweiger

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! - I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry