As you might imagine, I'm a little upset. Could this be a virus?

Thanks,
Cliff
Indeed, I'd be pretty pissed... :-\

But this sounds like a desktop database problem. Try rebuilding your Desktop DB (and DF) by holding Apple-Option at the end of the boot sequence...

That is, restart the Mac. After the "Starting up" screen (and parade of extension/control panel icons at the bottom of the screen), but before the icons on the desktop and the text on the menubar appear, hold down Apple-Option. That should bring up a dialog box asking if you want to rebuild the desktop on the volume "<some volume name here>".

(You can also get the same results by saving a blank SimpleText file to the top level of your hard drive and naming it "Desktop DF" in the "Save As..." dialog box. Do that for Desktop DB as well, and you'll be all set. Restart the Mac, and it will automatically rebuild the desktop. Some say that this is a more effective method than the Apple-Option key combo, but I don't think it makes a difference.)

Hope this helps!
Peace,
Drew
--

Author of ClassicStumbler email: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> web: <http://www.alksoft.com/>

Want to know if your neighbor has Wi-Fi?  Find out with ClassicStumbler 1.6!
"Now with REAL cheese!"
<http://www.alksoft.com/classicstumbler.html>