At 05:09 PM 6/11/2003 -0700, you wrote:
Hi,
I'd like to record and send as an attachment a short,
probably uncompressed audio clip to a Windows '95 (I'm
guessing) user far, far away. It can't be very long,
less than 1 MB. I'm guessing their Windows box has no
multimedia, just the onboard mini-speaker that bongs
during start-up.
What kind of file format do I need to use?
Thx
George

If there's no sound card in it, then they won't be able to play much of anything. There is a PC Speaker driver that allows mono 8 bit wav files to play, but it sounds somewhere between horrible and slightly less horrible, depending on the exact machine architecture. PC's don't really bong during startup, they go "BEEP!"

If it does have a sound card, then just about anything should play in WMP or Winamp. Basic stuff should work fine with wav files. Any decent Macintosh sound editor should be able to save/resave in wave format.

1 meg won't go very far at anything close to full quality though. An mp3 would be much better for it, but it might requre an external player if they don't have WMP installed.

Scott Holder