> From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: Which kind of Audio file does a Windows user use by default?(and
> a bit OT)
>

> MIDI playback still requires a sound card. No matter what else, audio
> playback requires a sound card. There are player apps for all versions
> of windows for a wide array of file formats and some for DOS too, but
> every single one of them requires a sound card.
>
> Eric J
Quite true; I was under the impression that George's friend had, at least,
sound capability, which on older PCs would mean a sound card would HAVE to
be present (I believe..). Integrated audio on a PC is a fairly new (and not
terribly satisfactory) addition on the consumer market, iirc. I do remember
trying to get an old Zenith 486 to send sound to its "massive" on board
speaker, powered by the equally massive single oscillator pumped with a
giant .45 watts - that was a treat!
Best regards,
Dana