Hi again,

I picked up a cheap-ish 190cs on eBay a while ago and earlier tonight tried to
upgrade it with an apple video card and IR board, and replace the RAM board. It
used to work slightly dodgily, so I thought the RAM board might have been fried.

However I got the old green light when I restarted it. I tried booting it
without the battery and it started to make an "interesting" burning plastic
smell... Anyway - it may well now be a gonner, but I took it apart to have a
look and it has several dodgy looking modifications to the motherboard. I wonder
if it has been overclocked unstabily - the mods are (i have no idea about
circuit diagrams in ASCII, so wish me luck):

 | | |||||
 ---------
|UCC39120P|   (to right of PCMCIA slot    - two legs soldered together as shown
|^ U 9537 |    above the video connector)
 ---------
 | | |||||

   |    |
 ----------
|SG-615P  C|
| 16.6667 M|  (to the bottom right of the Whitney chip) - resistor soldered as
shown
|     5310A|
  |     |

A resistor with 104 ( or h0|  :) ) on it
Theres also a couple of dodgy connections on the bottom from CX03 to C314.

Is this a standard mod? It looks like a monkey did some of it?

Also, when I now turn it on (its outside the case), I just get a radio
interference noise down the headphones, which suggests the PRAM might actually
be dead... the burning smell suggests worse though

Cheers for any suggestions as to what someones done to this 'book?

Josh