Eric L. Strobel on 7/28/03 2:24 PM wrote:

> OK, this is (or at least may be) weird.  On a whim I plugged it into the
> free USB port on the side of the iMac (vs. into the keyboard), and it shows
> up!  Any interpretations on this?  For example, does this mean I can't use
> the drive through any hub?
>
> Anyway, thanks for the help.
>
> - Eric.

Perhaps it wasn't getting enough juice from the connection on the keyboard
to properly power the drive. Just enough to make it light up or appear to be
functioning.

I've also noticed on a few occasions that when I've connected an external
drive via USB (and even FireWire) that it isn't recognized but when I unplug
and plug it back in it will always show up on the second attempt. I usually
try to give it a minute to be recognized before making the second try.

This usually happens in OS9.x, rarely in OSX (but I've only used FireWire
with OSX and not a USB external).

-Mark