howdy.  no, the 1400 series use ide/ata 2.5" drives.

I think the original wanted to know the speed of CF as
a method of having faster additional memory in his
1400. (ie. putting the virtual memory on the CF card
instead of on the hard drive)
I'm in the same pickle.  I have the pcmcia-CF
reader, but only a 16mb module.  but have a 256 on
the way.  I will report back with my findings.

-nils